This park lights up as the sun goes down
Summer Night Out 1: Let's Run Park
When the daytime heat sets with the sun, evening relief lures people out of their air-conditioned sanctuaries.
But, where to go? We've got you covered.
Now that we're in the thick of the sweltering season, Dynamic Busan is checking out places worth visiting on cooler summer nights.
Our first choice is Let's Run Park, a horse-themed destination in Gangseo-gu (district). While outdoor activities might be restricted due to sunny side temps, summer nights are still a great time for al fresco fun.
Night Horse Racing
Though Let's Run Park's 1.25-million square meter campus is a little far afield from downtown Busan, it offers visitors a full slate of fun activities for the whole family, including horse racing and horse riding. This all-seasons park shines in the summer and will take patrons to another level of thrills that cannot be enjoyed elsewhere around here, especially in July and August.
Nighttime horse races happen Friday and Saturday. Admissions begin at noon with the first race starting between 2 and 2:30 p.m. The last race starts at 9 p.m.
On Sunday, the "Sunset Race" session gets started earlier, with admissions beginning at 10 a.m. The first race kicks off at 11:40 a.m. and the last race begins 7 p.m. Are you feeling lucky?
- Address: 929, Garak-daero, Gangseo-gu
- Admission: 2,000 won
- Shuttle bus operation: In July and August, shuttle buses run from exit 5 of Hadan Station (Metro line 1), exit 8 of Jurye Station (Metro line 2) and exit 1 of Daejeo Station (Metro line 3): Fridays and Saturdays, every 10 minutes from noon, every 20 minutes from 1 p.m. and the last bus is at 6 p.m.; Sundays, every 10 minutes from 10 a.m., every 20 minutes from 11 a.m. and every 30 minutes from noon. Last bus is at 4 p.m.
- Information: race.kra.co.kr/globalEn/main.do
Beautiful displays of light and color fill Illumia Park at night.
"Illumia" is a combination of the words "illumination" and "illusion," with the "-ia" suffix thrown in for spice. The combined word represents a world of light and fantasy.
This light-themed park within the Let's Run Park complex stretches 153,520 square meters and offers special shows where themed pathways, colorful landscape lighting and a musical fountain hold court.
The horses of many breeds that can be found within are a particular highlight. But, that's only one part of the larger piece of this puzzle. The area is so vast that it can take almost two hours to fully explore and appreciate.
Central square fountain shows, a Greek pavilion, Italian pavilion, the "Deck of Love" and many other installations make for interesting photo opportunities. A show with music, filled with images produced by special lights and lasers can be enjoyed on the artificial lake. It's all truly an illuminating experience.
- Admission: 11,000 won from Monday to Thursday, 12,000 won from Friday to Sunday.
- Hours: from sunset to midnight
- Information: illumia.co.kr